Long Distance Moving Checklist
Moving long distance is a complex undertaking. If you leave something behind accidentally, you cannot just drive a few miles back to your old house and grab it. This is just one of the important reasons to get everything right with your long distance move the first time. To help you, we at Armstrong Relocation – Birmingham have created a long-distance household moving checklist to help you plan effectively and experience an efficient move from start to finish.
When you are starting or planning a move checklist for your long-distance relocation, include the following items:
✔ Decide What Items to Move
- Discard, sell or donate items you do not need
✔ Prepare Your Packing Supplies
- Purchase packing material, boxes, shipping tape, etc. from office supplier, home-improvement stores or where available, if packing yourself
✔ Use Up All Perishable Items Before Moving Day
- Examples include frozen food, bug sprays, paint, and household cleaners
✔ Ensure Your Furniture and Appliances Will Fit in Your New House
- Obtain necessary measurements of doorways and room dimensions, etc. of the new home
✔ Begin Packing (if you are packing some items)
- Pack the least used items first (i.e. seasonal clothes, holiday decorations, etc.)
- Label the boxes based on their assigned room in your new home
✔ Change Your Address with Important Entities
- Post office and other companies
- Insurance companies, banks, credit card companies, etc.
✔ Confirm the Appointment with Your Moving Company (Armstrong Relocation!)
- Maintain contact with your Move Coordinator before the relocation. Be sure to confirm the arrangements (cost, places, times, etc.) at least a week prior to moving day.
✔ Contact Utility Companies
- Make and confirm arrangements for utilities (heat, electricity, water, etc.) to be turned on at your new home when you arrive and disconnected at your old home
Moving with Armstrong Relocation – Birmingham
By following this long-distance relocation checklist, you can minimize the stress of your move and remain organized and prepared throughout the entire process.
To get started with your long distance move from the Birmingham area, contact us today at 205.942.1625 or request a quote online.